Dec 8, 2012

Two lovely films

Am not a movie buff. Yet managed to see two wonderful movies this month – Datta vs Datta and Life of Pi. Seated in multiplexes with the right environment around you, watching good films can be almost a poetic and cathartic experience. It was my first experience of watching a full fledged 3 D movie in a multiplex. I enjoyed every bit of it. Though I must confess I screamed spontaneously at times like many others around me. The young boy’s adventure on the sea with a tiger as his only companion was fascinating to view. I was completely immersed and was spellbound by the beauty of nature which came out so brilliantly in a 3D photography. I have earlier seen and laughed at fancy photographs of people trying to mimic deep sea explorers on custom made holidays – nervous city bred young people, middle aged people and even old men and women behaving like clowns in skimpy outfits trying to imagine themselves as deep sea divers. I have also seen some documentaries of marine life. But I was not prepared for anything like this .The beauty and grandeur of marine life seen in 3D was at the same time a terrifying and sublime experience. With its lethal combination of brilliant nature videography and human drama, Life of Pi is a must watch for all and can be enjoyed by all age groups.


Dutta vs Dutta is an autobiographical movie and entirely a complex human drama narrated and picturised by the talented Anjan Dutta. The music is beautiful and the acting brilliant. The film’s underlying theme -the strength of family ties amidst all the chaos, the triumph of art as a celebration of life- cannot be missed. The father son love hate relation around which the plot is woven has been told beautifully and smartly  with no judgement passed on anyone or anything. I loved it.

Two outstanding young actors have emerged on the movie screen which is excellent news .Hope to see more of these actors. Specially Ranadev – I hope the directors make right use of his talents.




Image above: "musicjagat.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are being moderated